Friday, June 26, 2009

“Yoga is a wonderful insurance policy!”

Shahrukh khan to Host IIPM 4Ps Annual Business and Marketing Quiz

One can’t help being awestruck when Bette Calman defies her age and performs yoga asanas that require incredible flexibility and strength. Our cover girl, Bette tells Anu Gulmohar how she became the super-supple great grandma!

I am 83-years-old but through yoga practice I’ve managed to stay fit. I’ve been doing yoga for 55 years, and I’ve been teaching for probably 40 years. I’ve been very strong and I still teach and take classes. It has kept me very flexible and well and happy, and so I say thank you to yoga. Everyday I thank God and yoga. It has kept me very healthy. My daughter is involved with yoga and even my great grandson practices yoga – he’s only three-years-old and he goes to a baby yoga class! He really loves doing yoga. And I do think that today we are all really busy and we need to practice yoga techniques like relaxing and being still – it charges you up physically, mentally and emotionally. I do practice the whole range of asanas; not every one of them every day though.

I wasn’t always a vegetarian but since the last 40 years, I’ve been a vegetarian. I eat plain food, a lot of salads, fruits and natural food. I have been very healthy. I haven’t had a cold or fallen sick ever. Yoga is a wonderful insurance policy!

In all these years yoga has not changed, but the method of teaching has. The classes are quite different now than what we had when we all first learnt the art. When I became a yoga student, there were only five people doing yoga – it was pretty new in Australia. And we did not see a book published about yoga for another 7-8 years. So we learnt from the master – straight from the master’s mouth – that’s how we grew. My master, Swami Karmananda Michael Bolin, introduced yoga in Australia about 60 years ago.

My husband runs a hotel and we had lots and lots of hotels, and I was involved in all of them, working with my husband. I’ve been a very busy person. I think we’ve got to have work and rest. We should not be running all the time but should want to be quiet too. I think that’s where yoga helped me so much, relaxation is something I really needed. Yogis say that if we don’t keep still then we’ll get sick. Sometimes, we’ve got to be still, we can’t be on the go all the time. I think that’s the most important lesson I’ve learnt – that you can do all the things, and also be still sometimes. Just take some time to find yourself.

Right now I’m nursing a husband who’s suffering from full-blown dementia and Parkinson’s disease and he’s not well at all, and he requires a lot of attention and time, and it is not easy. But because I am healthy, I can look after him, otherwise he would be in a home. So yoga has helped in many ways. Because I’ve kept myself healthy, I can help my daughter in her business – she runs a yoga centre in Williamstown. I can also baby-sit my great grandson.

I think how you live your life is important. Some people are sick all the time and when they live a long life, it cannot be very pleasant. Being healthy and being able to enjoy each day is important to me. It’s important to be positive and look forward to each day, because this day is not going to happen again.


For more articles, Click on IIPM Article.
Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2008
An Initiative of IIPM, Malay Chaudhuri and
Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist).
IIPM Best B-school
IIPM
IIPM Global B-School
IIPM Alumni Officially on Facebook
For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
2,300 IIPM students get jobs
The Most Revolutionary Concept In Education PLANMAN CHE CENTRE FOR HIGHER EDUCATION, Supported by IIPM India’s Leading B-School
PLANMAN CHE (Centre for Higher Education)
ZEE BUSINESS BEST B SCHOOL SURVEY
IIPM Ranked No. 1 B-School In Global Exposre - Zee...

IIPM: History, and Founder Director Dr. M.K. Chaudhuri
IIPM New Delhi, The Indian Institute of Planning and Management, India
IIPM Placements New Delhi, India
IIPM New Delhi India
IIPM MBA Institute India
IIPM - International
Business and Economy - India's Most Influential Business and ...
Rankings IIPM, The Indian Institute of Planning and Management India
Management Certification, IIPM India
(IIPM) Management Education Institute India
Indian Institute of Planning and Management: IIPM New Delhi, India
For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM 4ps Quiz
1500-plus IIPM students placed across the country with 44 bagging international offers
IIPM set to beat economic slowdown
IIPM, GURGAON
IIPM - Admission Procedure
IIPM awards four Bengali novelists
The Hindu : Education Plus : Honour for IIPM
IIPM ranked No.1 B-School in India, Management News - By ...
IIPM Ranked No1 B-School in India